The electrical system in every home must have an electrical ground. If the ground fails or is not functioning properly, there are a number of disasters that could occur. Learning the purpose of an electrical ground, the symptoms of a failing electrical ground and how to resolve the problem can help you protect your family and your home from such disasters. Here, you will learn just that.

What is the purpose of an electrical ground in your home electrical system?

Without getting too technical, the ground provides an exit route from your home if the electrical system was to malfunction in any way. The electricity that should have traveled through the wiring to the device that it is meant to power will travel through the ground wire and out of your home. Basically, electricity that is uncontained in the wiring is pulled from your home into the ground outside.

What are the hazards of a grounding system that fails?

If the electrical ground in your home fails, there is an increased risk of electrical fire, damage to your electrical devices and appliances, and electrical shock. In some cases, the electrical shock could be more than enough to stop your heart. For example, if you are touching an appliance that is not properly grounded with wet hands or while standing in water, you could get electrocuted and get severe burns, suffer internal injuries, and even have a heart attack.

What are the symptoms of a failing grounding system?

Increased Usage of Electricity – In some cases, you may notice a spike in your electric usage for the month. In this case, there could be an electrical wire that is touching the ground wire. The ground wire will then carry the electricity flowing through the electrical wire outside and into the ground. This is why you would see an increase in your electricity bill.

Electrical Shock – When you turn off a light or plug in an appliance or electrical gadget, you may feel a slight shock. This shock should not be ignored. It is a sure sign that there is something wrong with your electrical system and possibly a sign that your grounding system is not functioning properly. What is a slight shock today could end up being a serious electrocution in the future.

Lights Dimming – The lights in your home should never dim when you turn on an appliance. The power supply to the lights should remain steady no matter what power is being used elsewhere in the home. For example, in the kitchen, do the lights dim when the refrigerator runs, or when the oven is preheating?

If you notice any of these symptoms in your home or are experiencing other oddities in your electrical system, do not hesitate to contact a certified electrician. Only a trained professional can diagnose the problem and make the necessary repairs before injuries or fires occur.

For more information, contact Craftsman Electric or a similar company.

Share